Saturday, February 14, 2015

Storyboarding

  Creating a storyboard... something that seems and sounds pretty easy. However, it was something that caused me something a lot of trouble. Although, like expressed in my last post, I had a pretty good idea of what I want my Documentary short to be about, I didn't really know where to go from there. Looking at websites and tips for creating a story arc, how to make things captivating, etc, etc.
   However, it became easier when I wrote out the words that I want to be the audio over my video. Collecting facts and looking at different videos, and articles about Media Culture, I complied the ones I found the most interesting and the ones that took me aback the most. The facts that show us how much we are separating ourselves because of all of this information we create for our own distractions and satisfaction.
  The thing is- I think there are so many amazing parts of media- ESPECIALLY social media. How easy it is to connect to others everywhere, how quickly we are linked to news happening around the world, how easy it is to share something you found captivating, an educated opinion, etc. However, these reasons are not the main reasons why people use or care about social media. Truly, people like it because of the power it gives them to represent themselves. This makes a lot of the posts about what someone had for lunch, the outfit they wore or how tired they are at the end of the day. Information that we take the time to look at, but at the end of the day, it is irrelevant and empty to our own individual lives. Even if in the moment we enjoyed it, at the end of the day, do we remember it? Will we remember it tomorrow? Next week? 5 years? The answer: probably not. However, how much time a day do we spend scrolling through and absorbing this information? And the answer to that: too much time.
  SO, anyway, back to the storyboard. I took this information and wrote about it in a factual but reflective way. Relaying the information while giving it some personal opinions. This helped me compile the images and scenes I want to create individually as well as get from already existing sources. In the end, creating this:
 

   A very rough draft, but it really helped me understand how I want my video to feel and look. Creating it also helped me better understand the overall process. It made me feel a lot less anxious about the whole process, since I've never really made my own video before (in a creative sense). So after much research, planning and thinking, I feel pretty ready to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment